Offering products and services based on what you “think” potential clients may want is cutting back on the amount of business you could actually be doing. When it comes to market research and attracting ideal clients, here’s what you need to know to be successful:
1. Determine what specific services and products you want to offer clients. Remember, you’re in a saturated market. Meaning, you need to go way beyond just staying you provide career coaching or resume writing services. When marketing to potential clients, you have to give them something to work with because they’re comparing you to a lot of other coaches or writers providing the same type of career services you do.
2. Avoid being perceived as a generalist. Highlight your unique qualities, industry expertise, and ability to meet specific needs of clients who work with you. Stop trying to be everything to everyone. Get clear about who can benefit most from the services you offer, how you’r able to help your clients, and what results they get from working with you.
3. Test your ideas and find out if you’re getting the kind of results you expected. Send out a brief survey to your mailing list and get feedback. Any negative responses can be viewed as constructive criticism and learning opportunity. Learning is a good thing!
SurveyMonkey is an easy survey tool to use. You can ask up to 10 questions for their free service or you can upgrade your account for a fee. Everyone’s time is valuable so offering something job seekers could benefit from would make it worthwhile for them to take time out of their busy schedule to take it.
4. Follow up. After you’ve completed you work with a client, have them share their experience working with you and how you’ve contributed to their success. Connecting with clients after your work together is done is an excellent way to strengthen your relationship with them while at the same time find out if there are other ways you can help them in the future.
5. Use your social and personal networks. Talking with people can trigger new ideas for service offers and products that didn’t even cross your mind before. It’s a great way to discover a gap in the coaching or writing industry that needs to be filled!
Having a clear understanding of your target audience is how to effectively market your business and career services. You’re able to pinpoint the challenges they face and provide them with information they’re looking for, positioning you as their problem solver.
Did you find this article helpful? There’s more where that came from—here’s more!