Career Coach Certification Criteria
Each recognized career coaching certification has its own set of rules and regulations by its affiliated coaching organization. To view full coaching certification requirements, click [+] below.
TCE does not offer certification programs or grant coaching certifications. We’re here to personally serve and support career coaches who want to increase their online visibility, build their company brand, and serious about connecting with job seekers to build their business. If this is you, we welcome you to join us!
Participants are taught a simple but comprehensive framework for transition and development as well as specific coaching skills that can be used to facilitate, coach, guide or push clients to success. In addition, participants learn how to use seven excellent career assessment instruments.
Job & Career Transition Coach (JCTC) | Job & Career Development Coach (JCDC) Certifications: The JCTC certification is designed for coaches who assist individuals in changing jobs or careers and in conducting a successful job search. The JCDC certification is designed for coaches who work with employees within an organization and assist them in developing their careers.
Graduates of the three-day workshop receive both the JCTC and JCDC credentials and 21 continuing education hours that are approved for Marriage and Family Therapists and Licensed Clinical Social Workers by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences; and Career Management Professionals and Career Management Fellows by the Institute of Career Certification International.
PCC is the first and only “Career Coach specific” training and certification that offers both a comprehensive coach training program AND gives you everything you need to begin a thriving business (whether it’s full time or on the side)
Whether you’re brand new to coaching or have established business ready to grow, PCC will challenge you to execute at a world-class level. It’s designed to turn you into a master coach and build your coaching business into a force for good that fuels a greater impact in the careers of others.
The 7-month interactive, live online class allows you to attend from anywhere in the world. It’s complemented with an additional video-based program that begins by teaching technical mastery for Career Coaching and building a viable business for you and your first clients.
It’s different than every other program because it focuses exclusively on getting you and your clients results. We use cutting edge coaching and psychology practices and guarantee that you will come out of the program with your first paying client. Full Preview: Professional Career Coach Curriculum
Associate Certified Coach (ACC)
- Completion of an entire ICF Accredited Coach Training Program (ACTP).
- A minimum of 100 hours (75 paid) of coaching experience with at least eight clients following the start of your coach-specific training. At least 25 of these hours must occur within the 18 months prior to submitting the application for the credential.
- Completion of the Coach Knowledge Assessment (CKA).
Professional Certified Coach (PCC)
- Completion of an entire ICF Accredited Coach Training Program (ACTP).
- A minimum of 500 hours (450 paid) of coaching experience with at least 25 clients following the start of your coach-specific training. At least 50 of these hours must occur within the 18 months prior to submitting the application for the credential.
- Completion of the Coach Knowledge Assessment (CKA).
Master Certified Coach (MCC)
- 200 hours of coach-specific training.
- 10 hours of Mentor Coaching over a minimum of three months. Your Mentor Coach must be an MCC in good standing. This cannot be the same Mentor Coaching that was applied toward a previous ICF Credential application.
- A minimum of 2,500 hours (2,250 paid) of coaching experience with at least 35 clients, following the start of your coach-specific training.
- Performance evaluation (two audio recordings and written transcripts of coaching sessions).
Complete the Coach Knowledge Assessment (CKA) unless previously passed when applying for ACC or PCC.
Please contact ICF Headquarters at (888) 423-3131 for more info.
Core Curriculum: Fundamentals / Fulfillment / Balance / Process / In The Bones – Fundamentals is CTI’s foundational Co-Active Coaching skills course. Fulfillment, Balance, and Process courses are named after the core principles of the Co-Active Coaching Model. In the Bones is an integrative course that deepens your confidence and solidifies the skills that have been taught in the previous four courses.
FUNDAMENTALS – The purpose of this course is to provide training and practical experience in the techniques and skills of the coaching profession, specifically Co-Active Coaching. This course is oriented toward participation and practical experience rather than lecture. Participants have extensive opportunities to coach and to receive feedback on their coaching.
FULFILLMENT – This course includes practical tools for helping clients discover their unique values, identify self-defeating influences and create a vision for a compelling future. The prerequisite for this course is Fundamentals of Co-Active Coaching.
BALANCE – Because people live in constant motion, it’s easy to forget that we have a choice in everything we do. Balance coaching is about guiding clients to make powerful life choices and to select the experiences they want most, rather than dashing about either at the mercy of circumstances or trying to have it all. Coaches learn to assist their clients in generating new perspectives and creating a plan of action grounded in commitment. Prerequisites for this course are Fundamentals of Co-Active Coaching and Fulfillment.
PROCESS – Although uncomfortable, a client’s chaos, confusion and inertia are part of his or her forward motion. Being with clients in both their messy and ecstatic places allows them to feel known and to more fully know themselves. Process coaching is about being with clients wherever they are on the flowing river of their lives – in the strong current, the still pools or the rapids and eddies. Prerequisites for this course are the Fundamentals of Co-Active Coaching, Fulfillment, and Balance.
IN THE BONES – Co-Active Coaching relies on intuition to be responsive in the moment with clients rather than applying staid techniques or rules. In the Bones focuses on integrating the coaching skills learned in previous courses to take coaching to a higher level of impact and professionalism. This course provides polish, depth and courage so that coaches may respond to a wide range of clients and coaching situations with creativity and power. Prerequisites for this course are the Fundamentals of Co-Active Coaching, Fulfillment, Balance, and Process.
To earn the CPCC designation, the coaching candidate must go through a six-month certification program. Candidates are eligible to begin the Certification Program after completing the Process course. A team of CTI-trained master coaches works with the candidate throughout the program to provide assistance and ensure the candidate’s success as a coach.
Six-Month Certification Program Components:
- Weekly group teleconference calls provide a forum for practical learning application and group support as you move through the program. The Certification Program Leader is on the group calls delivering instruction and content. On the alternating weeks, candidate will meet in triads for skill building exercises and coaching. These weekly calls are one-and-a-half hours once a week for 25 weeks.
- Pre-recorded lectures and trainings by CTI founders and leaders offer content and sample coaching sessions on the topic of the week. Recordings are listened to prior to each of the weekly teleconference calls. Average listening time is 30 minutes per week. Candidates are expected to maintain a roster of at least five clients throughout the program and must complete 100 hours of coaching with your clients before taking the Certification Exam. Supervision provides feedback on what is working well in candidate’s coaching and what areas need improvement. Candidate reviews tapes of previous coaching appointments and debrief with a Certified CTI Supervisor. There are nine one-hour supervisions.
- Homework and reading assignments deepen candidate’s knowledge and experience of Co-Active Coaching. The time involved averages one to two hours weekly. On-going work with a CPCC, Professional Certified Coach (PCC) or Master Certified Coach (MCC) helps support candidate throughout the program. The time involved averages 30 minutes per week. After completing the program requirements, candidate will be eligible to take the Certification Exam.
- Upon successful completion of a written and oral exam, graduates earn the designation of Certified Professional Co-Active Coach (CPCC). The program is accredited by the International Coach Federation and licensed by the California Bureau of Private Post secondary and Vocational Education.
Please contact CTI Headquarters at (800) 691-6008 for more info.
Career Coaches completing the CCMC program undergo a rigorous 3-month training program (accredited by International Coach Federation as an Approved Coach-Specific Training Program) that includes practical application of coaching principles.
Career Coaches must pass a written examination and live coaching evaluation conducted by an ICF Master Certified Coach. CCMCs learn core coaching competencies aligned with International Coach Federation guidelines that help you to find focus, unravel road blocks, achieve change, and enjoy success. Career management is approached holistically, synchronizing your career with your strengths, interests, values, and personal/family/life goals.
Career Coaches are trained across the careers continuum, incorporating principles of career development theory into career assessments, exploration/research, personal branding, decision-making, job search, skills development, and enhancement/advancement.
The latest innovations in job search, resume writing, interviewing, and salary negotiation are taught to CCMCs by nationally recognized careers authors and experts. CCMCs coach professionals and executives to fine-tune their careers in a way that delivers a strong return-on-investment to their organization, while creating career security, financial rewards, and fulfillment for themselves.
Certified Executive & Leadership Development Coach (CELDC)
In today’s business culture, organizations are stretched to “do more with less.” This mandate can produce pressure and stress, which is felt not only by the executive/leadership client but by those he or she leads and manages.
Coaching shifts people from a “problem state” or a “status quo mentality” into a “possibility perspective” where awareness, curious exploration, the power of choice, and intentional action lead to the claiming of new territory for the client and increased productivity and profitability for the client company.
The Certified Executive & Leadership Development Coach program will equip you to confidently coach on executive/leadership topics, such as leadership models/competencies, vision/mission/values, personal branding, leadership presence, emotional intelligence, leadership essentials, delegation, employee engagement, and team-building.
Over the 12-week program you will receive ICF core competency training, leadership essentials, and hands-on coaching experience.
Please contact The Academies at (559) 547-8200 for more information.
- Possess a Masters Degree or higher, certification in their area of career specialization, or 10 years professional experience in the careers industry
- Publish two articles or one book per year
- Complete 30 Continuing Education Units per year
- Donate 10 hours of free services each year
- Read 4 career-related and business-related books per year (with book reports)
- Give one public speaking engagement per year
All of this information must be presented in a portfolio to the Credentialing Committee of the Career Management Alliance on an annual basis for review. Only those career professionals who meet ALL 6 criteria will be awarded a CCM credential.
Please contact the Career Thought Leaders Consortium at (855) 333-5793 for more info.
Students in the Life Coach Training are taught a 7-Step Model for Change, with which they help clients explore career and life possibilities, clarify their choices, and create a plan for successful follow-through, as well as dealing with any blocks or fears that come up in the process. This model can be applied to the client’s career, as well as other areas of their life. Coaching certification requirements include:
- Completing either the 3- or 6-month webinar or the 5-day intensive. Webinars are limited to 6 to 10 students, and intensives are limited to 12 to 24 students
- Working with and reporting on 6 to 8 sessions with a Buddy coach and 12 to 18 sessions with practice clients
- Passing an online multiple-choice exam and demonstrating coaching competency in a coaching final
- We also recommend completing a 3 to 6-month marketing plan and having it approved in a one-on-one consultation with their instructor
Upon completion, graduates of the program receive certification as a Certified Life Coach or Certified Spiritual Coach and earn the Certified Life Coach (CLC) or Certified Spiritual Coach (CSC) designation. Graduates also earn 60 hours toward International Coach Federation (ICF) and Board-Certified Coach (BCC) certifications.
Life Purpose Institute also offers a full ACTP program for those who want to earn ICF’s Professional Certified Coach (PCC) credential. For more information, please contact Life Purpose Institute Headquarters at (858) 484-3400.
The CEIP credential requires completion of a video and text training curriculum and extensive testing of the material presented. Training focuses on key techniques that interviewers use for hiring new employees and introduces the Circle of Communication model – three fundamental types of communications and four decision-making styles to effectively coach and prepare clients.
Coaching candidate is also introduced to the Organizational Message Chart (OMC) model used to prepare for the employment interview that sets new standards for interview training. After the candidate has viewed the video, studied the training materials, a test is given to confirm completion of the course materials. Upon successful completion of the test, the CEIP credential is awarded.
Certified Professional Career Coach (CPCC*)
The Certified Professional Career Coach (CPCC) program was developed as a practical Career Coaching program introducing students to the coaching competencies. The program focuses on clients’ career planning and needs — targeted on careers, job search, promotions, military transitions, federal resumes, mastering of career coaching competencies, and business development. Students engage in practical coaching exercises, before they coach their clients.
Career seekers are challenged today by myriad methods to seek employment. As a CPCC, you can lead them to career success. Career seekers must learn how to manage lifestyle and career change, and how to build a winning career search program affecting positive change and growth throughout their career continuum. As a CPCC you can inspire career seekers to take charge of their career destinies, find purpose, and create direction, to maximize their ability to control life/work balance.
As a premiere career space credential, the Certified Professional Career Coach program offers a comprehensive window into the career coaching industry:
- Teach you how to propel your clients to meet their career objectives
- Provides the tools and career coaching processes & competencies to guide you in building your coaching practice
- Equip yourself to steer career seekers to make positive changes in their careers and lives
- Develop Career Coaching competencies
- Write value-laden resumes and career search documents, applying career coaching techniques (including federal resumes)
- Focus your clients’ career plans (no more, “I am a jack-of-all-trades, I can do anything”)
- Become a Chief Motivational Office
The Certified Professional Career Coach program is on the approved list of courses available to military spouses through the DoD Military Spouse Career Advancement Account program.
Please contact PARW/CC at (800) 822-7279 for more info.
Designation provides seasoned resume writers, career coaches, career assessment practitioners, recruiters, job placement specialists, outplacement consultants, career counselors and human resource specialists with a way to benchmark their advanced level of talent and expertise.
Criteria for evaluation includes showing proof of industry longevity, advanced certification or degree; 36 CEUs in a 36 month period; 22 hours of community outreach in 36 months; 18 hours of industry outreach in 36 months; preparation of three industry articles (1000+ words each) or related career documentation / publication; three testimonials or reference letters in 36 months; and a 1500+ word philosophy statement which overviews candidate’s experience and industry commitment. Portfolios are evaluated and approved by the Certification Committee.
Renewal is required every three years with updated portfolio materials to demonstrate ongoing commitments in each area.
Certified Employment Interview Consultant (CEIC)
CEIC is a one-of-a-kind certification that provides career coaches and other career professionals with intensive training in virtually all facets of job interview preparation and salary negotiation.
The 19-module program covers: interview pre-planning and preparation, company research, telephone interviews, portfolio development, interview attire, strategies for creating concrete answers and answering questions, employer expectations, use of motivation language and body language, the 30-second commercial, difficult and illegal questions, 13 types of interviews and how to handle them, pre-employment checks and drug testing, interview follow up, and salary negotiation.
CEIC candidates are evaluated in their understanding of the course content through a series of 18 evaluation points. The CEIC must be renewed every two years through completion of updated course modules to ensure that the credentialed professional is up-to-date on the most current industry trends.
Certified Professional Online Job Search & Reputation Management (CP-OJSRM)
Through this course and certification, coaches will gain all the tools to help clients navigate online job search and personal branding-online identity-reputation management. The 2019 version now includes selling tools + a 50-page done-for-you package of client materials.
The 9-module program includes worksheets and handouts for your clients to be used 1-1 or in transition assistance/group programs and in-depth content covering internet research simplified; electronic research on target companies; mining and creating positions through press releases, business related trends and spot opportunities; ID of career opportunities using professional associations; job board research and social/mobile apps; 19 strategies for applying social networking tools and resources to the job search; and job marketing trends and tools for career management and change.
To earn the credential, students must complete a portfolio, which includes exercises from 7 of the modules along with three case studies of client situations (can be performed on your own business, real clients, or fictional ones). Samples of case studies are included. The OJSRM must be renewed every two years through purchase of any updated modules that have been released. No additional testing or submission is required – we just want to ensure the most up-to-date content is being used.
For more information, please contact Career Directors International at (321) 752-0442.
WCI’s Certified Professional Coach training program gives you the necessary foundation to coach with a 100 percent success rate. Through this coaching course you learn how to apply WCI’s Proven Methodology with confidence, generate business and maintain long-term client relationships. Our CPC training is included in all of our foundational coaching courses.
Personal Foundation: Personal Vision, Values Based Living, Goal Setting, Law of Attraction, Mindset for Success, Managing Emotions, NLP, Transformational Coaching, Creativity, Time Management, Intuition, Conflict, Boundaries, Success, Prosperity, Abundance
Foundational Coaching Skills: Meeting Ethical Guidelines, Establishing the Coaching Agreement, Establishing Trust & Intimacy, Coaching Presence, Powerful Questioning, Active Listening, Empowering, Acknowledging, Direct Communication, Designing Actions, Planning and Goal-Setting, Managing Progress and Accountability, Advanced Coaching Skills, Coaching Models for Creating Awareness, Group Coaching, Transformational Coaching, Seminars, Workshops, Client Tests and Assessments, The Enneagram & Myers Brigg’s
Setting Up Your Business: Vision, Strategic Positioning, Naming your Business, Choosing Your URL, Payment System, Legal Structure, Accounting, Business Plan, Website Creation, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Accreditation by the ICF
Marketing Your Business: Marketing Plan, Positioning, Branding, Target Audience Definition, Channel Plan, Social Media Strategy, Speaking, Earning Six Figures, eBook Authoring, Self-publishing, Article, Marketing, Networking, Measuring Return, Secrets of Successful Coaches
Certified Career Coach (CCC)
Specific Coach Training: Career Discovery, Career Assessments, Career Vision & Goals, Building a Network, Interviewing, Communication Skills, Client Types, Conversation Skills, Career Advancement, Transformational Coaching, Seminars, Workshops, and the 11 ICF Core Competencies preparing coaches for ICF credentialing.
Proven methodology, expert coach tools, downloadable client forms are provided in addition to tremendous confidence and support from instructors and peers to ensure success of our coaches. Coach Training Available: 8-week Foundational Teleclass Program | 8-week Foundational Self-Study Program
Upon successful completion of the Certified Career Coach (CCC) course assignments and examination, coaches receive their CCC designation.
Please contact World Coach Institute at (877) 633-5082 for more info.