Online job interviews are becoming very common. Skype and other technologies for candidate screenings save companies a great deal of time, while even making it easier for candidates to interview without having to worry about traveling and parking.
For some, these types of interviews may seem less stressful, yet for others online interviews may be very intimidating. Some job candidates believe that interviewing online is no different than interviewing in person, except for saving time. There are others who consider them a lot less formal than an in-person interview, which is not true at all! Many, who have had the experience, report that they would have much preferred being interviewed in person, as it turned out to be more complicated than they thought it would be.
Here are a few tips to help prepare for an online interview:
1. Look professional – wear what you would wear to a face-to-face interview. The interviewer will still see you.
2. Wear solid colors – not bold prints or patterns.
3. Be well groomed – head hair, facial hair, jewelry and teeth!
4. Sit up straight – good posture shows self-confidence and makes a good impression.
5. Smile, as appropriate.
6. Avoid looking at notes (and the small box of yourself on the screen) – you will be talking to another person on the screen. Look in their eyes, just as you would in an in-person interview. You are having a conversation with them, even though they are not in the room with you.
7. Be mindful of your surroundings to ensure nothing is visible that you wouldn’t want the interviewer to see if he/she were there with you. This includes children, pets, and other possible intruders.
There is a learning curve with this process. Practice with others in a mock interview to help you feel more at ease when it’s time for real. With the popularity of these interviews, you can expect that one day you will be called for an online interview. Preparing now will give you the confidence that will be noticed by the interviewer when you are invited for your online interview.
Check out ALL of the tools and resources TCE has available for you!