As we begin the last month of the year, it’s time to mentally prepare for next year. Can you believe 2017 is only 31 days away?!
Earmark some time this month to assess your personal and professional challenges and accomplishments that took place THIS year. Ask yourself these 10 questions and put your answers on paper:
1. What have I accomplished this year? Be specific. Write it all down and schedule some time to celebrate this, you deserve it!
2. What have I learned this year that will help me be more productive and efficient next year; what skills did you pick up?
3. What got in my way? This is where your work will be next year. Be honest; even if it was your own self that got in the way. Remember, the answers to these questions are for your eyes only.
4. Who contributed to my successes? What can you do to recognize the the people who helped you?
5. What mistakes did I make, and what did I learn from them? Writing these down is a good reminder for what NOT to do next year.
6. How was my work consistent with my values? What will you do with the inconsistencies?
7. Where did I not take responsibility? Sometimes it’s easier to see with a little distance from the actual event.
8. How did my performance and customer service rate? Give yourself a letter grade or 1-5 star rating with 5 being the best and 1 the worst.
9. What do I need to let go? Letting go of certain things you’re accustomed to taking on or doing can be challenging. But if you can delegate tedious administrative tasks that don’t contribute to your bottom line, it will free up your time to invest in projects that will. Also, micromanaging can lead to “bottlenecking” which slows down progress.
10. Where did I fall short when it came to marketing my business and what will I do differently so I won’t fall short next year?
Now that you have all of your answers down on paper take a deep breath in, deep breath out, and put it aside for a day or two before taking action. Let’s make 2017 your best year ever!